Springfield Hospital offers a comprehensive and patient friendly allergy service for both adults and children, which is all Consultant led ensuring you get the best care possible.
Allergic disorders are very common and can affect nearly all body systems, from respiratory allergies causing hay fever to bowel allergies causing stomach discomfort; allergies can dominate our daily lives.
Allergies in Adults
Most allergies start in childhood but can develop at any point in a person’s life. Sometimes adults develop food allergies to something they could previously eat without a problem, yet sometimes children outgrow an allergy only for it to reappear in adulthood.
Allergies in Children
Unlike most hospitals Springfield will see children from any age with allergy problems. The most common type of allergies children suffer from are food allergies and Springfield Hospital offers a range of testing which can find the cause of such problems.
Symptoms that may require Allergy Testing
- Itchy eyes
- Sneezing, blocked or runny nose
- Swelling off the lip, tongue or throat
- Hives or Weals
The following could be possible reactions to:
- Food types
- medications eg penicillin
- Bee or wasp sting
How is Allergy testing performed?
There are multiple ways to test for allergies dependant on the type of allergy.
- Physical examination for allergic signs such as hives – conducted by your consultant
- Skin prick testing – a range of appropriate allergens are tested at once usually on the arm
- Blood tests – These measure the amount of allergy-specific antibodies in your blood.
- Interdermal skin testing – a small amount of the suspected allergen is injected underneath the skin
- Challenge testing - Allergen aggravation testing in a controlled environment
This is usually a combination of antihistamines, other medicines, allergen avoidance and sometimes lifestyle alterations such as change of diet. Steroids may occasionally be required as a pill, cream or nasal spray for those who suffer seriously from allergies. Occasionally the definitive treatment is desensitisation, this involves exposure to the allergen to increase long term tolerance.
Our highly experienced team of consultants are here to help you find a solution to your allergy.