Digestive health (gastroenterology)
Don't let your stomach upset you
Digestive problems including heartburn, constipation, bloating, colitis, indigestion (dyspepsia and Irritable Bowel Disease (IBD) or Irritable Bowel Syndrome are extremely common. Our expert consultant gastroenterologists diagnose and treat men and women of all ages for a wide range of gastrointestinal conditions.
- We can arrange for you to see a specialist within 72 hours or at a time to suit you.
- A diagnostic stomach examination (gastroscopy) may be recommended to aid diagnosis.
- Your consultant also has access to other hospital specialists including our General Surgeons and dieticians to work with and refer to as appropriate.
- Should further treatment be required, there is little or no waiting time for surgery, your treatment can start as soon as you are ready.
Rapid access gastroscopy
A gastroscopy (sometimes referred to as an upper gastrointestinal endoscopy) is a procedure used to examine the oesophagus, stomach and first part of the small intestine (duodenum) using a thin, flexible tube called an endoscope which is passed down the throat. A gastroscopy can be used to:
- investigate problems such as difficulty swallowing (dysphagia) or persistent abdominal pain
- diagnose conditions such as stomach ulcers or gastro-oesophageal reflux disease (GORD)
- treat conditions such as bleeding ulcers, a blockage in the oesophagus, non-cancerous growths (polyps) or small cancerous tumours
We offer the latest treatment options to help you manage your gastrointestinal condition including:
- Laparoscopic Nissen Fundoplication Anti-reflux Surgery
- Innovative LINX system for gastro-oesophageal reflux disease (GORD)
- A GP referral is always very helpful as it will provide your consultant with useful information, but you can usually self-refer without one.
- Phone us on 01245 234040 to book an appointment.
- Meet one of our specialists for an initial consultation and any diagnostic tests.
- Arrange a date for a gastroscopy or treatment, if required.