HoLEP laser treatment for prostate problems (BPH)
What is HoLEP?
HoLEP (Holmium Laser Enucleation of the prostate) is a modern alternative to traditional surgery for the treatment of lower urinary tract symptoms by removing obstructing tissue from the prostate, using a laser. The treatment has National Institute of Clinical Excellence (NICE) approval with clinical supporting data of more than 10 years.
HoLEP has many advantages over conventional TURP procedure including:
- No limits on the size of the prostate that can be lasered.
- Bleeding after the procedure is minimal.
- Discharge is often quicker with some patients going home the same day.
- The chance of recurrence requiring further surgery is very low.
- There are fewer associated complications than with TURP surgery.
- It is suitable for patients on blood-thinning medication.
Am I suitable for this treatment?
For men older than 50 years, benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH) is a common prostate problem. HoLEP treatment is performed to help with urinary symptoms caused by BPH such as:
- The etention of urine meaning you feel like you always need to go.
- A poor flow.
- Dribbling on the trousers after urination.
- Having to get up at night to pass urine.
- Waiting a long time to start passing urine.
- Urgent and frequent urination.
What results can I expect?
Usually you need to stay in hospital overnight and should be able to go home the next day without a catheter, depending upon the amount of tissue that has to be removed. You should experience rapid symptom relief and a quick recovery with minimal risk of damage to healthy tissue, impotence or prolonged incontinence.
How much does it cost?
We offer competitive all-inclusive package prices making it easy to pay for your own treatment. Please email us or call 01245 200307 for a price.
We have agreements in place with all of the major health insurance providers. So, if you are insured, please call your insurance company for authorisation.
What are the next steps?A GP referral is always very helpful as it will provide your consultant with useful information, but you may be able to self-refer particularly if you are choosing to pay for your own treatment.
Phone us on 01245 234040 to book an appointment within 72 hours or at a time to suit you.
Meet one of our urology specialists for an initial consultation to discuss your health and assess your suitability for this treatment.
If appropriate, a date for the procedure will be arranged to suit you.